MS. Bodl. 949
Held at the Weston Library
Mathematical Tables, consisting of logarithms of 1-10000 to 30 places of decimals:
- With a preface and methods of carrying the tables on to numbers of 30 figures (fol. 1)
- A table of natural and logarithmic sines to every degree and minute of the quadrant, with an account of 'Mr. Sharp's' construction of the former kind (fol. 65v)
- Calculations for the quadrature of the circle by Halley's method, resulting in a value of π to 154 decimal places (fol. 114v)
- A table relating to arches (fol. 123v)
- Fols. 130-end are blank
- Passages on fols. 114 and 122v show that some of these calculations were begun at Philadelphia, U. S. A., about 1721, and all written out in 1759
- written in A.D. 1759
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Bodl. 949, fols. 1-2]
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Bodl. 949
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 20358
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 30439
Immediate Source of Acquisition
First referenced about A.D. 1800. It is stated that baron F. X. von Zach (d. 1832) saw this MS. in the Radcliffe Library at Oxford.
18 7/8 × 12 1/4 in.
- Mathematical Tables
- EAD version 2020 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description