Miscellaneous autograph letters
Miscellaneous autograph letters, among which are:
- Fol. 1. Letter from Christopher (1st lord?) Hatton, Sept. 28, 1626, bought in 1898
- Fol. 3. Letter from Samuel Carte, June 17, 1751, bought in 1900
- Fol. 14. Letter from m. Barthélemy St-Hilaire, Jan. 5, 1884
- Fol. 21. Three letters from F. W. Fairholt, 1855-9, bought in 1903
Additions, (fols. 88-183) Guard-book of letters and papers, 16th-19th cent., including::
- Fols. 90-1. power of attorney from the Chevalier d'Éon to the London merchants Duval, 1779
- Fol. 107. memorandum signed by James Gibbs concerning the building of the Radcliffe Camera, Oxford, 1738 (HMC 8: 9th report (1884) app., part ii, 476b)
- Fol. 125. 'Verses to the comet of 1811', holograph poem by James Hogg, c.1824
- Fols. 126-7. the first eleven stanzas of 'Hallow'd ground', holograph poem by Thomas Campbell, n.d. Verse in Crum
- Fols. 28-36, 38-9 have been added, including autographs of Benj. D'Israeli the elder, Feb. 4, 1819 (fol. 28: given by S. G. Perceval, May 20, 1904), George Canning, Aug. 16, 1814 (fol. 32: given as above), and sir F. Gore Ouseley, June 2, 1870 (fol. 38: bought as no. 538 of Ellis and Elvey's Music Catal. 6, Oct. 18, 1904)
- (MS. Autogr. c. 9) two letters from mr. G. Sauerwein to mr. E. S. Dodgson, Nov. 7 and 12, 1904, presented by the latter on May 4, 1905, are added as fols. 40-43: and an undated letter from dr. Pusey to the rev. H. O. Coxe, bought from J. Pearson & Co.'s Catal., art. 529, on Oct. 9, 1905, is at fol. 44
- fols. 72-79 added, among which are a Latin letter from Petrus Aegidius (P. Gillis, of Delft) to Erasmus (1518: fol. 74), presented by mr. P.S. Allen on Jan. 7, 1908: and two letters from dr. G. G. Sauerwein to mr. E. S. Dodgson, June 14 and 15, 1901 (fol. 75), presented by the latter on June 21, 1901
- Fols. 80-82, containing (1) a letter from Henry Vaughan, the Silurist, to Anthony Wood, Apr. 25, 1689, presented on May 18 by Aleck Abrahams, who writes a note of donation: (2) a facsimile of a letter of sir Robert Cotton from a British Museum MS.
- An undated letter from Thomas Hood, presented by E. A. Bigg, Esq., of Clifton, Bristol, Nov. 25, 1912, has been added at fol. 86
- A letter to Desiderius Erasmus formerly in this volume, as noted above at p. 293, has been transferred to no. 35596 where it is now fol. 80
The following letters among others have been added:
- Fol. 46. Five from Adam Clarke, 1822-26
- Fol. 58. One from dr. Alexander Chalmers, May 31, 1825
- Fol. 60. A begging letter signed by John Carey, LL.D., Sept. 6, 1826
- Fol. 64. One from the rev. John Newton, n. d. 'bought.. in lot 105 at Sotheby's, 19. 5. 1906'
- Fol. 66. One from Joseph Skelton, Oct. 13, 1830, 'bought.. 1.6.1906 from H. Y. Adamson'
- Fols. 68, 70. Two from John Charles Villiers, Feb. 10, 1800, and Thomas Villiers, Oct. 9, 1809, earls of Clarendon
- Creation: Written in A.D. 1626-1884
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Autogr. c. 9, fols. 1-2]
MS. Autogr. c. 9
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 20347
Miscellaneous autograph letters
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 30423
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Referenced in 1902.
Additions: Acquired, 1918-36.
13 1/4 × 9 3/4 in.
- Campbell | Thomas | 1777-1844 | Poet (Person)
- Ouseley | Sir | Frederick Arthur Gore | 1825–1889 | 2nd Baronet | Professor of Music at Oxford University (Person)
- Dodgson | Edward Spencer | 1857-1922 | Bascologist (Person)
- Coxe | Henry Octavius | 1811-1881 | Librarian, Palaeographer, and Antiquary (Person)
- Allen | Percy Stafford | 1869-1933 | President of Corpus Christi College Oxford (Person)
- Erasmus | Desiderius | 1466-1536 | Humanist and Theologian (Person)
- Miscellaneous autograph letters
- EAD version 2020 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description