Certified copies of three Patent Rolls relating to the Philosopher's Stone
MS. Add. C. 125
Held at the Weston Library
Certified copies, made in March 1676/7, of three Patent Rolls relating to the Philosopher's Stone which was to transmute baser substances into gold and silver:
- Fol. 1. Patent Roll, March 9, 1446 (24 Hen. vi), pt. 2, membr. 14: to sir Edm. de Trafford and sir Thomas Assheton
- Fol. 4. Patent Roll, May 31, 1456 (34 Hen. vi), membr. 7: to John Fauceby, John Kirkeby, and John Rayny
- Fol. 18. Patent Roll, March 9, 1456/7 (35 Hen. vi), pt. 1, membr. 6: a commission to Thomas Hernei an Austin friar, Robert Glaselay a Cambridge Dominican, William Atclyf the queen's physician, Henry Sharpe master of St. Lawrence Pountenay college in London, and six others to examine into and report on the Philosopher's Stone
There are endorsements of each paper in a hand not unlike that of Peter Le Neve.
- Made in March 1676/7
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Add. C. 125, fols. 1-2]
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Add. C. 125
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 20255
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 30258
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired by The Bodleian Library in 1890.
12 3/4 × 10 3/4 in.
- Certified copies of three Patent Rolls relating to the Philosopher's Stone
- EAD version 2020 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description