Photostats of Manuscripts of Cassiodorus Institutiones I, II
Photostats and photographs from manuscripts of Cassiodorus, Institutiones divinarum et saecularium litterarums:
- Institutiones I, II from Bamberg, König. Biblioth. H.J.IV.15, 8th century, fols. 1v-34v (photographs), fol. 34v-68r (photostats)
- Institutiones I. 70.2-84.15, from Berlin lat. 162 (Phillipps 1737)m fols. 38r-43v, 9th-10th century,
- Institutiones II praef. i-ii, from Berlin lat. 176 (Phillipps 1780) fols. 46r-50v, 10th century
- Institutiones I. 27.18-54.7, from Wolfenbüttel, Weissenburg 79 (4163), fols. 9v-18r, 10th century
- Institutiones I, from Vatican, Palat. lat. 274, fols. 1v-33v, 11th century
- Institutiones 1 i-ix, xi-xiv, from Munich, Staatsbibliothek Lat. 14469, fols. 151r-165v, 9th century
- Institutiones I (incomplete), from San Marino (Cal.), Huntington H.M. 627 (Phillipps 4621), fols. 44v-46r, 12th century
- Institutiones I, II, from Vatican, Urbin. lat. 67, fols. 71r-126v, 12th century.
- photostats of 7th-12th cent. originals
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Facs. d. 78].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Facs. d. 78-9, e. 33-4
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13604
Biographical / Historical
Flavius Magnus Aurelius Cassiodorus Senator (c.490-c.585) was a Roman statesman, writer and monk. He wrote Institutiones divinarum et saecularium litterarum, his most recognised work, between 543 and 555.
Other Finding Aids
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to unpublished catalogues.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given to the Library in 1950.
- Photostats of Manuscripts of Cassiodorus Institutiones I, II
- Susan Thomas
- Language of description
- Script of description