Copies of documents relating to the Visitation of Magdalen college, Oxford, in 1687-1688
Copies of documents relating to the Visitation of Magdalen college, Oxford, in 1687-1688, of which the more important are printed in dr. Bloxam's Magdalen College and King James II (Oxford, 1886, 8°) and the rest supplement that volume. The chief MSS. here partly copied are:
- (fol. 9) the Aldworth papers owned by lord Braybrooke, copied by miss Hopper (see Bloxam's book, p. xxxiii);
- (fol. 104) the Hedges papers then owned by the rev. W. E. Buckley, copied by G. Parker (see Bloxam, p. xxxvi);
- (fol. 130) the Johnston papers owned by mr. F. B. Frank, copied by miss Hopper (see Bloxam, p. xxxviii).
There is also at fol. 1 a list by dr. J. R. Bloxam of the documents of which copies are contained in a manuscript volume presented by him to Magdalen college and which form the basis of the printed volume: and a few notes of or extracts from four British Museum MSS.
At fol. 161 are three original news-letters from 'N. N.' on the same subject, one to William Wood (i.e. dr. George Hickes), Oct. 23 (1687), another of Oct. 26, and the third of Oct. 28, 1687: also (fol. 165) one signed 'T. N.' and dated Nov. 16 in the same year. These letters were bought from mr. H. Evans in Sept. 1887.
- Creation: written chiefly in A.D. 1885-1886
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. hist. c. 3, fols. 1-2]
MS. Eng. hist. c. 3
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 20084
Copies of documents relating to the Visitation of Magdalen college, Oxford, in 1687-1688, written chiefly in A.D. 1885-1886.
Biographical / Historical
George Parker (fl. 1885-1886) was an assistant in the Bodleian.
Miss Hopper (fl. 1885-1886).
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 29723.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Presented by the Committee of the Oxford Historical Society on July 27, 1887.
13 1/2 × 9 in.
- Copies of documents relating to the Visitation of Magdalen college, Oxford, in 1687-1688
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description