Collections for Cambridgeshire, partly printed
Collections for Cambridgeshire, partly printed, of which there is a list at fol. 4: the chief papers are:
- (fol. 11). Notes of remarkable occurrences and persons, and of incumbents, etc., written about 1715-1755 by Edward Steele, whose name does not occur.
- (fols. 76, 101). Notes relating to the Baker and Cromwell families.
- (fol. 84). A list of Presidents and fellows of Queen's college, Cambridge, 1448-1648, from a Lambeth MS.
- (fol. 106). A large collection of epitaphs in the county, stated to be by the rev. -- Smyth, presented to the rectory of Woodston near Peterborough in 1730, with an index of places at fol. 5.
- (fol. 320). 'Registrum Academiæ Cantabrigiensis, nempe Matricula et Gradus præter Baccalaureos Artium, ab anno 1719 ad annum 1737 inclusive, cum Indice ad utramque seriem', copied by Samuel Pegge, LL.D.
Richard Gough's writing is at fol. 6.
- Creation: made up of several MSS. written in the 18th century
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Top. Cambridgeshire c. 1, fols. 1-2]
MS. Top. Cambridgeshire c. 1
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 20033
Collections for Cambridgeshire, partly printed, made up of several MSS. written in the 18th century.
Biographical / Historical
Edward Steele (fl. 1705-1760) was a house painter and antiquary.
Samuel Pegge (1704–1796) was a Church of England clergyman and antiquary.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 29657.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
In the second part of the L. L. Hartley sale, May 3, 1886, this was lot 7, and there bought for the Library for £4.
14 × 8 3/4 in.
- Collections for Cambridgeshire, partly printed
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description