'Oxfordshire Gleanings, collected and arranged by Frederick George Lee'
MS. Top. Oxon c. 6
'Oxfordshire Gleanings, collected and arranged by Frederick George Lee, 1850-1884,' miscellaneous drawings and views of churches and houses, extracts from newspapers, engravings, pedigrees, copies of antiquities, coats of arms, etc., some printed., with index. The chief older parchment documents are:
- (fol. 111) A precept to the Sheriffs of Oxfords hire and Berkshire to seize Thomas and Robert Morton for debt, Nov. 25, 1516, in Latin;
- (fol. 176) An award about an exchange of land in Denbighshire, Nov. 28, 1616, cf. fols. 185, 220.
There are drawings of Newman's Religious House at Littlemore, 1865 (fol. 37), and of Godstow nunnery (17th century, copied in colours in 1851: fol. 159), but very little about Oxford itself.
- written chiefly in 1850-1854
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Top. Oxon c. 6, fols. 1-2]
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Top. Oxon c. 6
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 19995
'Oxfordshire Gleanings, collected and arranged by Frederick George Lee', written chiefly in 1850-1854.
Biographical / Historical
Frederick George Lee (1832–1902) was a writer.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 29610.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
>Bought from dr. Lee on Nov. 30, 1885, for £15.
15 × 11 in.
- 'Oxfordshire Gleanings, collected and arranged by Frederick George Lee'
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description