Dawson Turner Manuscripts
Manuscripts of Dawson Turner, including:
- Letters addressed to Edmund Henry Barker, the classical scholar
- Letters from Bishop Thomas Tanner to his uncle Thomas Moore
- Collections made by George Chalmers (d. 1825), chiefly relating to Shakespeare
- 18th-19th cent.
Language of Materials
English, Latin, German, and French
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Bodl. 1003].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Bodl. 1003-1006, 1013; Eng. poet. d. 13
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13410
Biographical / Historical
Dawson Turner (1775-1858) was a botanist and antiquary. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, nos. 28722-7.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The manuscripts were purchased in 1859.
- 18th century
- 19th century
- Barker | Edmund Henry | 1788-1839 | Classical Scholar
- Chalmers | George | 1742-1825 | Antiquary and Public Servant
- Moore | Thomas | fl 1708-1722 | Collector of Customs
- Shakespeare | William | 1564-1616 | Dramatist
- Tanner | Thomas | 1674-1735 | Bishop of St Asaph and antiquary
- Turner | Dawson | 1775-1858 | Botanist and Antiquary
- Dawson Turner Manuscripts
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description