Medical pieces, an imperfect volume, containing the following papers:
- (fols. 1, 3v, 35, 40, 59, 74, 87, 93, 104, 106). Medical receipts, partly relating to diet; cf. fol. 100v.
- (fols. 33v, 105). A few receipts connected with the work of an engraver and illuminator.
- (fol. 36v). 'Stillaciones aquarum ett virtutes earum. Hearre ytt tretythe of certeyne waters ...', also of conserves and cookery: cf. fols. 87, 92v.
- (fol. 47v, 93). '... Of vrynes.'
- (fols. 49, 61, 94v). Herbals, the first ('Nomina herbarum') in Latin: the last 'that Ipocras made in hys olde age': cf. 105v.
- (fol. 58v). 'To knowe when the moowne shall change ... '
- (fols. 59v, 72, 73). Prognostications of weather, etc., the first set bearing the title 'the vii yereynges of Ezechyell the profette', the last from 'Sturgis booke of Clypsum' (Clipsham or Clipston ?), with curious drawings.
(fol. 91) is almost completely torn out.
A rather later entry (in the scribe's hand) connecting the volume with East Farndon in Northants is at fol. 2v, and 'Per me White gill' (fol. 71v), 'quod G.' (fol. 72) perhaps give the name of the scribe.
- Creation: written about the second quarter of the 16th century
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Add. C. 246, fols. 1-2]
MS. Add. C. 246
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 19878
Medical pieces, written about the second quarter of the 16th century.
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 29434.
Part of a 17th century envelope addressed to 'Samuel Cater Esq., att Harold', is at fol. 53. In the Zachary Grey part of lot 3197.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought at the Percy sale, April 29, 1884 (part of lot 176).
On paper, imperfect at beginning and perhaps at end, and injured
12 3/8 × 8 5/8 in.
- Medical pieces
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description