Gustav Holst: Op. 32, The Planets, an orchestral suite in seven pieces. Original manuscript full score
The original manuscript of the full score of The Planets, an orchestral suite in seven pieces, by Gustav Holst, written 1914-1917. The original title page reads: 'Seven pieces for large orchestra', Gustav von Holst. Op. 32'.
Written out with the aid of several amanuenses, Vally Lasker, Nora Day, Jane Joseph and an unidentified professional copyist. For a detailed discussion of the various handwriting in this manuscript, see Imogen Holst's account in the facsimile edition, pp. 227-232.
- Mars. Mainly autograph, xiv + 38 pages.
- Venus. Mainly autograph, viii + 22 pages.
- Mercury. Autograph, viii + 40 pages.
- Jupiter. Almost entirely written by assistants, viii + 60 pages.
- Saturn. Mainly autograph, viii + 28 pages.
- Uranus. Mainly autograph, viii + 40 pages.
- Neptune. Almost entirely written by assistants, viii + 28 pages.
- Creation: 1914-1917
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
This manuscript is only available with the permission of the Music Curator.
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Mus. b.18/1].
Full range of shelfmarks:
MS. Mus. b. 18/1-7
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16560
The original manuscript of the full score of The Planets, an orchestral suite in seven pieces, by Gustav Holst, written 1914-1917.
Biographical / Historical
Gustav Holst (1874-1934) was a composer. See Grove Music Online for further details.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given by Imogen Holst 'as a tribute to the work of Sir Hugh Allen', 17 February 1947, and in recognition of the Library's custody of her father's manuscripts during the war.
Existence and Location of Copies
A monochrome facsimile of this manuscript is available as volume 3 in the series Holst, Gustav, 1874-1934. Collected facsimile edition (London: Faber Music, in association with G. & I. Holst Limited, 1979).
- Gustav Holst, Collected facsimile edition of manuscripts of the published works. Vol. 3: The Planets, opus 32, ed. Imogen Holst and Colin Matthews (London: Faber Music, 1979).
- Bodleian Library Record, vol. II, p. 197.
Seven volumes bound in quarter cloth by Winsome Bartlett of Darlington Hall, stored in in a Bodleian-made, cloth-covered box. Vol. 1 has a title page and introduction written in calligraphic black and red ink on parchment.
- Gustav Holst: 'The Planets'. Original manuscript full score
- EAD version 2019 by Hannah Jordan and Margaret Czepiel
- Language of description
- Script of description