Letters from Mendelssohn to Members of the Horsley Family
Twenty letters from Mendelssohn to members of the Horsley family, and several pieces of autograph music, including an arrangement for a piano duet of the 'Overture to the Isles of Fingal'.
Language of Materials
English and German
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Horsley b. 1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Horsley b. 1, c. 1
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13030
Biographical / Historical
Jacob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy (1809-47) was a composer. See the Grove Dictionary of Music for further details.
Other Finding Aids
See Peter Ward Jones, Catalogue of the Mendelssohn papers in the Bodleian Library, Oxford, III (Tutzing, 1989), pp. 308-11.
- Some of the letters have been printed in Karl Wolfgang P. Mendelssohn-Bartholdy Goethe and Mendelssohn, 1821-1831, tr., with additions, by M.E. von Glehn, second edition (London: 1874).
- 19th century
- Bartholdy | Jacob Ludwig Felix | Mendelssohn- | 1809-1847 | composer
- Brunel | Mary | 1813-1881 | nee Horsley
- Horsley | Elizabeth Hutchins | 1793-1875 | nee Callcott
- Horsley | Sophia Hutchins | 1819-1894
- Horsley | William | 1774-1858 | composer
- Thompson | Frances Arabella | 1815-1849 | nee Horsley
- Letters from Mendelssohn to Members of the Horsley Family
- Susan Thomas
- Language of description