A notebook of two successive Registrars of the University of Oxford
MS. Top. Oxon d. 9
A notebook of two successive Registrars of the University of Oxford, Henry Fisher (appointed in 1737) and Samuel Forster (appointed in 1761), containing:
- (fol. 2, etc.) lists of the mayor and chief citizens of Oxford who made the accustomed offering in St. Mary's Church on St. Scholastica's day (Feb. 10), and of the mayor and citizens who took an oath by custom at the same church on Sept. 30, for 1737-74;
- (fol. 3, etc.) notes of special dispensations for degrees, 1681-97, viewed as precedents;
- (fol. 122 rev., etc.) lists of determinant bachelors and incipient masters, etc., 1737-74.
The lists were compiled with a view to taking the proper fees, of which there are tables.
- written in 1737-1774 by H. Fisher and S. Forster
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Top. Oxon d. 9, fols. 1-2]
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Top. Oxon d. 9
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 19022
A notebook of two successive Registrars of the University of Oxford, written in 1737-1774 by H. Fisher and S. Forster.
Biographical / Historical
Henry Fisher (fl. 1737) and Samuel Forster (fl. 1761) were Registrars of the University of Oxford.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 29299.
This no doubt belonged to the rev. John Gutch who succeeded Forster (see above) in 1797.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Presented to the Library by the executors of miss Gutch in 1883.
9 1/2 × 7 3/8 in.
- A notebook of two successive Registrars of the University of Oxford
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description