Papers of Llewellyn Sidney Vaughan (Pat) Venables
- photocopies and transcriptions of correspondence and notes, including letters from W.B. Alexander, Rev. E.A. Armstrong, George Arthur, E.V. Baxter, A.W. Boyd, Leslie Brown, W.L. Campbell, Guy Charteris, Edwin (Cohen), Stanley Cramp, Donald Cross, Charles Inkster, William Irvine, John Jamieson, G.T. Kay (Theo), David Lack, Col. R. Meinertzhagen, L.J. Rintoul, David Snow, A.C. Stephens, P.O. Swanberg, Bernard Tucker, Ken Williamson, Pat Venables and Ursula Venables (transcriptions made by Pete Kinnear, 2001, originals held at Shetland Archive, Lerwick, Ref. Nos. D.1/114/295-334)
- 'The birds of Whalsay', transcription of handwritten summary of birds recorded by R. Stuart Bruce referred to in the bibliography of Venables' and Venables' book, Birds and Mammals of Shetland, as Bruce's notebook, c.1936 (transcription made by Pete Kinnear, 2001, original held at Shetland Archive, Lerwick, Ref. No. D.25/193/2)
- transcription of Logbook kept at Spiggie Hotel, Dunrossness, 29 Apr-5 Dec 1955 and 10 Apr-27 May 1956 (transcription made by Pete Kinnear, 2001, original held at Shetland Archive, Lerwick, Ref. No. D.25/222)
- hand-drawn map showing hobby territory, Wytham-Binsey, Oxford, 1942-1944
- letter from H.G. Lloyd regarding mammal trapping in Wales, 12 Nov 1968, enclosing report on 'Mid-Wales Small Mammal Survey 1968'; letter from Lindhard Hansen on bat observations, 9 Sep 1947; letter from Richard Nairn (Assistant Warden at Murlough Nature Reserve) on common seal age identification, 16 Jul 1975
- 2 letters from A.G. Mason regarding corncrakes, 19 Aug 1940, 13 Jul 1947, and a copy of The Irish Naturalists' Journal, vol. 7, no. 9, Mar 1940
- 24 photographs and 3 letters from John Schaefer on white-billed diver, 1955
- postcard and letter from J.M.D. Mackenzie on treecreeper nesting sites, and papers by him from the Scottish Naturalist comprising 'Parasitism of bird nests by Bumble Bees' (vol. 68, no. 2, p. 114), 'Effect of Myxomatosis on Tit Nests' (vol. 68, no. 2, p. 119) and 'Crested Tits in Plantations' (vol. 69, no. 1, p. 58), 1957
- letters from C.A. Gibson-Hill, 1948, John R. Baker, 1939, Ken Williamson, 1953, Edward A. Armstrong, 1950, and G.T. Kay, 1946
- request and thank you note from Gathorne Gathorne-Hardy, Lord Medway (acting Editor of Ibis), Apr 1973, for obituary contribution for David Lack, concentrating on his work on heathlands and Galapagos. Includes a copy of Lack's own autobiographical sketch
- poem, 'Ecuador is just a bore...', n.d.
- photograph of Venables(?) with seal on rocks, Jun 1958
- 'The Breeding Habits of Hornbills' by R.E. Moreau, typescript, published in The Journal of the East Africa and Uganda Natural History Society, n.d. [c.1930s]
- 'An investigation of the factors controlling the numbers of the breeding bird population', typescript, 6 pages, n.d.
- n.d. [c.1930s]-1975
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries, MS. 15494.
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 15494
Papers of Llewellyn Sidney Vaughan (Pat) Venables.
Biographical / Historical
No biographical information is available.
Material arranged as received from the Alexander Library of Ornithology.
Copies and transcriptions of correspondence and notes held in the Shetland Archive, Lerwick, presented to the Alexander Library of Ornithology by Pete Kinnear, 2001.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from the Alexander Library of Ornithology, 2018.
- Papers of Llewellyn Sidney Vaughan (Pat) Venables
- Finding aid prepared by EAD version by Sarah Thiel and Jen Patterson
- Language of description
- Script of description