Two Volumes of Services Copied by J.S. Bumpus
Two volumes of services in score with figured bass for the organ, copied by J.S. Bumpus. The volumes include scores by John Bishop, William Child, Benjamin Cooke, Robert Cooke, William Croft, Thomas Deane, Charles King, Richard Langdon , Benjamin Rogers, Robert Shenton, and George Walsh.
- late 19th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Mus. c. 424].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Mus. c. 424-5
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12826
Biographical / Historical
J.S. Bumpus (fl. 1891-1913) was an antiquarian and writer on cathedral music and ecclesiology. See the Grove Dictionary of Music for further details.
Other Finding Aids
A description is available in the Library, where there is also a card index to unpublished catalogues.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought by the Library in 1982.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Bishop | John | d 1737 | Cathedral musician
- Bumpus | John Skelton | fl 1891-1913 | Librarian and antiquary
- Child | William | b 1607-1697 | Composer and organist
- Cooke | Benjamin | d 1793 | Organist and composer
- Cooke | Robert | fl 18th century | Organist, composer, and son of Benjamin Cooke
- Croft | William | 1677-1727 | Composer and organist
- Deane | Thomas | fl 18th century | Musician
- King | Charles | 1667-1748 | Cathedral musician and composer
- Langdon | Richard | d 1803 | Organist and composer
- Organ music
- Rogers | Benjamin | d 1698 | Organist and composer
- Two Volumes of Services Copied by J.S. Bumpus
- Susan Thomas
- Language of description