Collection of two manuscripts relating to Ireland
Collection of two manuscripts relating to Ireland:
1 (p. iii). 'Original Collections relating to the affairs of Ireland ... 1450-1728', among which are:
- P. 1. an original indenture between Richard duke of York and James earl of Ormond about a debt, Aug. 23, 1450, in English, on parchment, signed by the earl
- P. 3. an original indenture by which James Tyrell lets the manor of Keppok in co. Louth to Will. Daby of Drogheda, June 30, 1468, in Latin, on parchment
- P. 5. part of a long petition to qu. Elizabeth, relating to the O'Neiles, earls of Tyrone (1567 ?), in English, on parchment
- P. 7e. part of an act of the Irish Parliament, about a subsidy to qu. Elizabeth, in English, on parchment
- P. 9. a copy of part of an Irish Act for the merchant staplers in Ireland (1569?), in English, on parchment
- and other similar later documents on paper; with references to Public Records relating to Ireland, 1310-1624
- At p. 83 is a copy of an Ogham inscription relating to Conan the fierce, but the transcript and translation are probably worthless.
- At p. 31 are three letters from Will. Wood in William iii's army in Ireland, Sept. 1, 11 and 22, 1689
- P. 127. 'Extracts from original [Public] records ... [in London] relating to ... Guernesey, Jersey, Alderney and Sark
- Also [p. 195e] a Catalogue of Charters, M.S.S. etc. relating to the Isle of Man'
- Some are 17th cent. copies, and on pp. 173, 177, are two original papers (letter from the Bailiff and Jurates of Guernsey, Jan. 15, 1580/1 with signatures: and a letter by Tho. Fanshawe about the custody of Jersey, Apr. 6, 1590)
The collection seems to have been made in about 1800-30: there is a list of contents on p. 202.
- Creation: Written in the 15th-18th century
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. hist. c. 34, fols. 1-2]
MS. Eng. hist. c. 34
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 19171
Collection of two manuscripts relating to Ireland.
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. VI, no. 31647
Immediate Source of Acquisition
In the Astle sale, June 19, 1894, lot 131, and then bought by the Bodleian.
On paper and parchment
13 5/8 × 9 in.
- Collection of two manuscripts relating to Ireland
- EAD version 2020 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description