Autograph letters of:
- Fol. 5. Geo. Ballard to Tho. Powys, 22 Feb. 1754, with an autograph draft (imperfect) of Ballard's will
- Fol. 12. M. S. Alexander, bp. of Jerusalem, 27 May 1830
- Fol. 18. Shute Barrington, bp. of Durham, 26 July 1815
- Fol. 26. Rich. Bagot, bp. of Oxford, 3 Oct. 1834
- Fol. 37. T (homas) C (arte), the historian, about Nonjurors
- Fol. 40. a prayer supposed to be in the hand of mrs. Carter (about 1758?)
- Fol. 52. Rob. Wood of Glasgow college, 7 Mar. 1735/8
- Fol. 56. Will. Wollaston (d. 1724), 19 Feb. 1719/20
- Fol. 59. Will. Hyde Wollaston, early 19th cent.
- Fol. 62. Anthony Wood, a scrap on 'Habits' from his History of the University of Oxford
Some portraits and views connected with these persons are also in the volume.
- Creation: Written in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Autogr. b. 1, fols. 1-2]
MS. Autogr. b. 1
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 18919
Biographical / Historical
George Ballard (1705-1755) was an antiquary. Shute Barrington (1734-1826) was Bishop of Durham. Richard Bagot (1782-1854) was Bishop of Bath and Wells. Thomas Carte (1686-1754) was a historian. William Hyde Wollaston (1766-1828) was a physiologist, chemist and physicist. Anthony Wood (1632-1695) was an antiquary.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. VI, no. 31008
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired by The Bodleian Library in 1890.
Artt. a-d were lot 57, e-f, lot 115, g-j, lot 536 in the Thomas Raffles sale at Sotheby's, 29 June-1 July 1891.
15 1/2 × 12 1/8 in.
- Ballard | George | 1705-1755 | Antiquary (Person)
- Barrington | Shute | 1734-1826 | Bishop of Durham (Person)
- Carte | Thomas | 1686-1754 | historian (Person)
- Bagot | Richard | 1782-1854 | bishop of Bath and Wells (Person)
- Wollaston | William Hyde | 1766-1828 | chemist, physicist, and physiologist (Person)
- Wood | Anthony | 1632-1695 | Antiquary (Person)
- Autograph letters
- EAD version 2020 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description