Diaries of David Green
The diaries of David Green, 1945-1984, including some press cuttings and loose letters and papers. Some of the diaries have later annotations by David Green, many in the 1970s. They contain much information about his work on the history of Blenheim Palace as well as his life in Church Hanborough with his wife, Joyce (1905-1979).
- Creation: Majority of material found within Bulk, 1945-1984
- Creation: c.1891-1902 and 1945-1984
1.5 Linear metres (28 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Some material is closed.
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. misc. d. 1314, fol. 1].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. d. 1314-1341
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 15183
Diaries of David Green.
Biographical / Historical
David Green was born on 20 April 1910, the son of a merchant, and educated at Bishop's Stortford College. He married Joyce Margaret Westrup (1905-1979) on 2 July 1938. He worked on The Countryman magazine and then on the advertising staff of Punch. During World War II he served in the Fire Service in Oxford. He published a number of biographies and architectural history works, specialising in the history of Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire. He died on 29 April 1985.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated to the Bodleian Library by David Green in November 1983 and in 1984.
- Green, David Brontë In the wood: and other stories (London, 1946)
- Green, David Brontë Country Neighbours (Blandford Press, 1948)
- Green, David Brontë Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire (Blenheim Estate Office, 1950)
- Green, David Brontë Blenheim Palace (Country Life, 1951)
- Green, David Brontë Gardener to Queen Anne: Henry Wise (1653-1738) and the formal garden (Oxford University Press, 1956)
- Green, David Brontë Sir Winston Churchill at Blenheim Palace: an anthology (Oxford: Alden, 1959)
- Green, David Brontë Grinling Gibbons: his work as carver and statuary, 1648-1721 (Country Life, c.1964)
- Green, David Brontë Sarah Duchess of Marlborough (Collins, 1967)
- Green, David Brontë Blenheim Palace, Woodstock, Oxfordshire (Blenheim Estate Office, 1968)
- Green, David Brontë Queen Anne (Collins, 1970)
- Green, David Brontë Blenheim Park & Gardens (Blenheim Estate Office, )
- Green, David Brontë Blenheim (Collins, 1974)
- Green, David Brontë The gardens and parks at Hampton Court and Bushy (H.M. Stationery Office, 1974)
- Green, David Brontë The Churchills of Blenheim (Constable, 1984)
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Blenheim Palace (England)
- Blenheim Palace | Woodstock | Oxfordshire | SP 4416 xx Blenheim House xx Blenheim Castle
- Church Hanborough | Oxfordshire | SP 4212 xx Church Handborough
- Green | David Brontë | 1910-1985 | biographer and historian
- Landscape gardening
- Oxford (England)
- Catalogue of the Diaries of David Green
- Finding aid prepared by Lucy McCann
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom