Papers of James Backhouse
- 'List of common trees and what birds nest in them' by Backhouse and others, handwritten, n.d.
- 'Forty common trees and what birds nest in them' by Backhouse and 'C.J.H.', typescript and handwritten, n.d.
- 'Nests in trees', handwritten list of historical data covering the period 1868-1930, n.d. [1930?]
- Handwritten list of birds and trees by Alfred Haines and sent to Backhouse, 2 Sep 1924
- Small notebook listing birds and trees by Backhouse, George Bolam, J.B. Crosfield and Gregory Haines in envelope addressed to Backhouse, n.d.
- Postcard to Backhouse from Albert Crosfield, 20 Aug 1930
- Postcard showing a photograph of a wood pigeon's nest in an elder tree, Hitch Wood, Hertfordshire, taken by Harry Meyer, 23 May 1937
- Handwritten list of trees and the birds that nest in them by [-] Garnett, n.d. [1920s]
- Coloured cut out of a butterfly, n.d.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 15213].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 15213
Papers of James Backhouse.
Biographical / Historical
These papers have previously been attributed to James Backhouse (1825-1890) but the dates would rather suggest that they are papers of his son, also James Backhouse, who was born in 1861 and died in 1945.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from the Alexander Library of Ornithology, 2018.
- Papers of James Backhouse
- Finding aid prepared by EAD version by Jen Patterson
- Language of description