Papers of Donald Gunn
- (Folder 1) Notes on ducks: goldeneye, tufted duck, goosander, mallard, tail-less (or 'sawed-off') ducks, miscellaneous notes (on ducks, geese and swans), hybrid ducks and the 'bimaculate duck'
- (Folder 2) Notes on grebes: courtship display of great crested grebe, fluctuations of population of great crested grebes, flight and fighting of grebes, the feather-eating habit of grebes, nidification and breeding behaviour of grebes, grebe behaviour (feeding, diving, swimming and fighting), plumage and attitudes of great crested grebe, notes on species of grebes other than great crested grebes
- (Folder 3) Notes by species: notes on pigeons, notes on cormorants, starlings in London, notes on coots, notes on gulls
- (Folder 4) Miscellaneous notes: the uropygial gland of birds, community drowning by red-legged partridges, great auk's eggs, lapwings crossing the Atlantic (1927), observations of the great northern diver (1927), parasites of swifts, swift abrasions of wing-feathers simulating moult, wood pigeon moulting in February, castanet noise made by waterhen, the sparrow, food for young, hawfinch eating oak leaves, passerine birds catching and eating fish, sketches (of little auk, shag, redthroated diver and purple sandpiper), birds tapping on windows
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries, MS. 14977.
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 14977
Papers of Donald Gunn.
Biographical / Historical
Dr. Donald Gunn, ornithologist. Some letters give his address as 40 Dover Street, W1, London – the address of the Arts Club in Mayfair. He donated a number of objects to the Pitt Rivers Museum, Oxford, collected in Southern Sudan and Burma.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from the Alexander Library of Ornithology, 2018.
- Papers of Donald Gunn
- EAD version 2019 by Sarah Thiel and Marion Lowman
- Language of description