Additional Papers of the Edward Grey Institute
Comprises visitors' books and ringing data
- Creation: 1947-1988
0.3 Linear metres (2 physical shelfmarks)
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 15567/1].
Full range of shelfmarks:
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 15567, 15597
Additional papers of the Edward Grey Institute of Field Ornithology, part of the Zoology Department of the University of Oxford.
Biographical / Historical
The Edward Grey Institute of Field Ornithology (EGI), named in honour of Viscount Grey of Falloden, was founded in 1938. It was the brainchild of Max Nicholson, Bernard Tucker, and Wilfrid Backhouse Alexander, and grew out of the Oxford Bird Census, founded in 1927. W.B. Alexander was the EGI’s first Director, and the institute’s library, the Alexander Library, was named after him. Subsequent Directors were David Lack, 1945-1973, and Chris Perrins, 1974-2002. Ben Sheldon became Director in 2004, as well as the first holder of the Luc Hoffman Chair in Field Ornithology. The EGI has grown into an internationally known centre for scientific research, major research themes including population and evolutionary ecology of birds, as well as being a training centre for ornithologists who have gone on to play important roles in Conservation.
For more information see: 'History of the EGI', Edward Grey Institute of Field Ornithology website [http://egi.zoo.ox.ac.uk/egi-members/history-of-the-egi/, accessed 7 Nov 2018]
Material arranged as received from the Alexander Library of Ornithology.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from the Alexander Library of Ornithology, 2018.
- Catalogue of the Additional Papers of the Edward Grey Institute
- Finding aid prepared by Francesca Alves
- Language of description
- Script of description