Copies of miscellaneous English state papers, with some originals, chiefly relating to Parliament and the Civil War
Copies of miscellaneous English state papers, with some originals, chiefly relating to Parliament and the Civil War, 1628-1642. A full list of the forty papers is in the Library, but cannot be summarily described: among the documents are the following:
- (fols. 8, 13, 14, 15, 72) papers relating to the Parliament of 1628;
- (fols. 17, 19, 20, 23, 25, 80, 91) papers relating to the Parliaments of 1640-1642;
- Civil War and Commonwealth papers, including 'Mensalia, or monethly passages in Leicestershire ... [and other Midland counties]', Jan.-Sept. 1643, written by a royalist (fols. 36-69, 73-74, in perturbed order), an original warrant by the king for providing muskets for the garrisons of Oxford and Reading, Jan. 17, 1643/4 (fol. 84), and some military passes and leaves, 1645-1657, two (fol. 77, Jan. 29, 1655/6, and fol. 79, Dec. 19, 1653) signed by Cromwell, with seal;
- (fols. 5, 32, 32v, 90, 94) Scotch papers, 1639-1640;
- (fol. 85) 'Copie of 3 generali letters from the Great Mogull' to James i;
- (fol. 81) copy of the proclamation to the people of England by James ii at Dublin, May 8, 1689.
- Creation: written in A.D. 1617-1689
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Add. C. 132, fols. 1-2]
MS. Add. C. 132
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 18820
Copies of miscellaneous English state papers, with some originals, chiefly relating to Parliament and the Civil War, written in A.D. 1617-1689.
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 29135.
A note by William Huddesford on fol. ii (a parchment wrapper which held the papers before they were bound and bears the title 'Letters. A ') makes it probable that these documents were once part of Antony Wood's collections.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought from W. H. Turner in 1878.
13 3/4 × 9 1/2 in.
- Copies of miscellaneous English state papers, with some originals, chiefly relating to Parliament and the Civil War
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description