A copy by a German of three poetical pieces relating to Tristram
MS. Add. A. 59
A copy by a German of three poetical pieces relating to Tristram:
- (fol. 1). A copy of the long fragment (about 4500 lines) of the Roman de Tristan in a Baluze MS. in the Bibliothèque Nationale at Paris (Baluze 759, or no. 7989, art. 5): beg. 'Que nul senblant', ends 'dire ne li lut.'
- (fol. 38). 'Lai de Chevrefoil', by Marie de France, perhaps copied from Brit. Mus. MS. Harl. 978.
- (fol. 40). A poetical dialogue between Tristan and Gwalzmai, in Welsh, with a literal English rendering. The title beg. 'Englynion a vu rwng Trystan vab Tallioz a Gwalzmai vab Gwyar', text beg. 'Gwalzmai. Prwystyl vyz ton anianawl.'
A few titles and notes are in German. Perhaps this MS. was used for prof. Friedrich H. von der Hagen's edition of art. 1 published at Breslau in 1823 (?).
- written early in the 19th century
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Add. A. 59, fols. 1-2]
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Add. A. 59
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 18640
A copy by a German of three poetical pieces relating to Tristram, written early in the 19th century
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 28685.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought by the Library in 1857 for £1.
On paper, in double columns
8 7/8 × 7 1/4 in.
- A copy by a German of three poetical pieces relating to Tristram
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description