Correspondence of Edmond Malone, chiefly his letters to dr. Thomas Percy, bp. of Dromore
Correspondence of Edmond Malone, chiefly his letters to dr. Thomas Percy, bp. of Dromore, 1767-1811.
(fols. 2-120) contain a chronological series of 41 letters (one a copy) from him to bp. Percy, Sept. 30, 1783-May 14, 1811, in which there is much literary and social news, especially about 'The Club' (see fols. 38, 108v, 113v, etc.); (fols. 42, 68) are drafts of replies, 1802-1803.
The chief letters in the rest of the volume are:
- eight apparently to dr. John Price, Bodley's Librarian, 1795-1804 (fol. 122), with one reply, Apr. 21, 1797 (fol. 124);
- one to his father, Apr. 18, 1767 (fol. 138).
- one from dr. Johnson, Aug. 12, 1782 (fol. 140);
- one from J. P. Kemble, July 19, 1788 (fol. 143);
- one from sir J. Reynolds, March 8, 1791 (fol. 147);
- one from mrs. Siddons, n. d. (fol. 169);
- one from lord Wellesley, Aug. 23, 1810 (fol. 159).
At fol. 161 is a copy of an ode and letter sent by lord Melcombe to dr. Edward Young, in 1761: the ode beg. 'Love thy country.'
- Creation: written in 1767-1811, chiefly by E. Malone
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Malone 26, fols. 1-2]
MS. Malone 26
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 18631
Correspondence of Edmond Malone, chiefly his letters to dr. Thomas Percy, bp. of Dromore, written in 1767-1811, chiefly by E. Malone.
Biographical / Historical
Edmond Malone (1741–1812) was a literary scholar and biographer.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 28578.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers bought in 1851 (for £12 10s.) comprised perhaps only Malone's letters to Percy, 1783-1807, and were no doubt an unbound parcel. Subsequently when, in about 1860 or so, the letters were bound, the opportunity was taken to put other correspondence of Malone with it, so that the present volume contains acquisitions of more than one date.
10 × 8 3/4 in.
- Malone | Edmond | 1741-1812 | literary scholar and biographer (Person)
- Percy | Thomas | 1729-1811 | Bishop of Dromore and antiquary (Person)
- Price | John | 1735-1813 | librarian (Person)
- Wellesley | Arthur | 1769-1852 | 1st Duke of Wellington | Field Marshall and statesman (Person)
- Kemble | John | Philip | 1757-1823 | actor (Person)
- Reynolds | Sir | Joshua | 1723-1792 | Painter (Person)
- Dodington | George Bubb | 1691-1762 | Baron Melcombe, politician and diarist (Person)
- Correspondence of Edmond Malone, chiefly his letters to dr. Thomas Percy, bp. of Dromore
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description