Letters and papers relating to Archibald Bower
MS. Add. C. 49
Letters and papers relating to Archibald Bower, a Scotchman who became a Jesuit in Italy and subsequently lived a dubious life as a professing Protestant in England. He wrote a History of the Popes among other works, and died in 1766. There was a considerable controversy in 1748-61 about Bower's veracity and honesty, in the course of which many of the papers in this volume were printed, some in facsimile. A list of the papers as presented to the Bodleian is on fol. 1.
- (fol. 2). Seven letters (two addressed to 'Mr. Elliott Brown' at Weston in Warwickshire) all but one signed 'A. B' (1746-1747), which are believed to have been written by Bower to Father Sheldon, provincial of the Jesuits in England. The first letter is imperfect.
- (fol. 13). Nine receipts for instalments of an annuity, undoubtedly written and signed by Bower, 1742-1747, showing that he received the money from (father) Charles Shirburne and (in 1746) from father Sheldon, with two other documents, one an order from John Hill to a banker to pay the money to Bower, Mar. 24, 1746/1.
- (fol. 23). Eleven attestations, in Italian and English, relating to Bower, 1756-8.
- (fol. 40). Miscellaneous letters, including one from Sir Henry Bedingfield, presenting the papers to the Bodleian, Feb. 16, 1758, four from bp. John Douglas, 1758-1759, one from Austin P. Goddard, March 17, 1758, and one in Italian of July 1, 1793, with almost illegible signature and concerned with private affairs, not in any way with Bower.
- written chiefly in 1742-1759
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Add. C. 49, fols. 1-2]
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Add. C. 49
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 18491
Letters and papers relating to Archibald Bower, written chiefly in 1742-1759.
Biographical / Historical
Archibald Bower (c.1686–1766) was a religious controversialist and historical writer.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 27867.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The bulk of these papers was presented by sir H. Bedingfield through bp. Douglas in 1758.
11 5/8 × 8 5/8 in.
- 18th century
- Bedingfield | Sir | Henry Arundell | c.1686-1760 | 3rd Baronet Bedingfeld of Oxburgh
- Bower | Archibald | c.1686-1766 | religious controversialist and historical writer
- Douglas | John | 1721-1807 | Bishop of Salisbury and writer
- Goddard | Austin P. | fl. 1726-1758 | of London
- Shirburne | Charles | fl. 1742-1747 | clergyman
- Letters and papers relating to Archibald Bower
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description