Miscellaneous private papers of Henry Hastings, 5th earl of Huntingdon
MS. Carte 289
Miscellaneous private papers of Henry Hastings, 5th earl of Huntingdon (d. 1643), the majority relating to the manor of Aller in Somersetshire. Among them are:
- a paper signed by the Master and Fellows of Emmanuel college, Cambridge, Feb. 6, 16 09/10, about the rectory of Aller (fol. 22);
- a copy of an inquisition on the death of dame Elizabeth Beaumont, owner of the manor of Whitwick in Leicestershire, Nov. 1427 (fol. 84), and the like.
There are abstracts of writings and other notes by Thomas Carte.
- Written in the first half of the 17th century
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Carte 289, fols. 1-2]
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Carte 289
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 18476
Miscellaneous private papers of Henry Hastings, 5th earl of Huntingdon, written in the first half of the 17th century
Biographical / Historical
Henry Hastings, fifth earl of Huntingdon (1586–1643), was a nobleman and landowner.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 27823.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired by The Bodleian Library in 1753.
17 × 14 in.
- Miscellaneous private papers of Henry Hastings, 5th earl of Huntingdon
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description