Notes on Greek historians by Edmund Chilmead
Notes on Greek historians by Edmund Chilmead (d. 1653), printed in the edition of Malala published at Oxford in 1691:
- (fol. iii) 'Notæ in Autoris Anonymi [scil. Georgii Hamartoli] Excerpta Chronologica', the MS. annotated being Bodl. MS. Barocc. 194, fols. 60-65.
- (fol. 1) 'Ad Jo. Antioch. Malelam notæ', notes on both parts of the Xρονογραϕία, the references being to the pages of MS. Auct. T. infr. 2. 5.
At fol. 125 follow a few notes and extracts from bks. 3-6 of Malala, not in Chilmead's hand.
- Creation: Written in the 1st half of the 17th century by E. Chilmead
Language of Materials
- Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. Auct. T. inf. 2. 14, fols. 1-2]
MS. Auct. T. inf. 2. 14
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 18456
Notes on Greek historians by Edmund Chilmead, written in the 1st half of the 17th century
Biographical / Historical
Edmund Chilmead (1610–1654) was a scholar and musician.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 27718.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series vol. 5 implies that "this volume may very possibly have come in 1707, with dr. Hody's books, as he was connected with the publication of the edition of Malala in 1691." Later corrections however suggest that this volume was acquired with MS. Auct. T. infr. 2. 5 in a purchase made in 1672.
12 7/8 × 8 1/2 in.
- Notes on Greek historians by Edmund Chilmead
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description