Twelve letters chiefly to Sir Nathaniel Brent, warden of Merton college, Oxford, on the Council of Trent
MS. Bodl. 659
Twelve letters chiefly to sir Nathaniel Brent, warden of Merton college, Oxford, on the Council of Trent, 1614-1704. Dr. Brent published an English translation of Sarpi's History of the Council in 1620. The letters are by the following writers, all being addressed to dr. Brent, unless stated otherwise:
- Brent, Basill, to -- Brent (Feb. 27, 1701/5 ?) (fol. 5).
- Renalds, John (stated by error [?] on the endorsement to be father Fulgentio) to John Brent, an Englishman at Padua, June 26, 1614 (fol. 6). Abbot, archbp. George, June 21, July 15, Aug. 10, Sept. 9, 24, 1618 (fols. 8, 10, 12, 14, 16).
- F.J. (i.e. father Fulgentio), Apr. 15, 1622, in Italian (fol. 20).
- S., Gnil. (?) (i.e. father Fulgentio), Feb. 17, 1622/3, in Italian (fol. 18). Copy of an anonymous letter to Fulgentio, n. d. (abt. 1625), in Italian (fol. 22).
- Whyte, Thomas, accompanying the foregoing copy, Apr. 7, 1625 (fol. 23).
- James, dr. Thomas, Aug. 7 (about 1625?), in Latin (fol. 24).
- written in 1614-1704
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Bodl. 659, fols. 1-2]
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Bodl. 659
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 18414
Twelve letters chiefly to sir Nathaniel Brent, warden of Merton college, Oxford, on the Council of Trent, written in 1614-1704.
Biographical / Historical
Sir Nathaniel Brent (1573/4–1652) was an ecclesiastical lawyer and college head.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 27606.
Owned by Basil Brent, and presented by dr. Lewis Atterbury to the Bodleian, probably in 1705, after the letters had been printed.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired by The Bodleian Library in 1705.
- All the above letters, except Whyte's, were published in 1705 by dr. Lewis Atterbury as Some Letters relating to the history of the Council of Trent.
13 3/8 × 9 3/8 in.
- Twelve letters chiefly to Sir Nathaniel Brent, warden of Merton college, Oxford, on the Council of Trent
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description