Papers of 'Michael Field'
Papers of 'Michael Field', arranged into five groups:
- Correspondence of 'Michael Field', 1867-1926
- Drafts, manuscripts and proofs of their plays, a few in prose (which are unpublished), the majority in verse, c. 1874-1918
- Drafts and manuscripts of their verse, 1861-1912
- Miscellaneous papers, mainly of personal and biographical interest, 1832-1924
- Later papers relating to 'Michael Field', 1890-1970
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. poet. a. 2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. poet. a. 2, c. 28-31, c. 33-40, c. 66, d. 54-112, d. 204-206, e. 60-85, e. 137-148, f. 18-23, g. 3-4; Eng. lett. c. 418-434, d. 120-121, d. 400-408, e. 31-33, e. 142-143; Eng. misc. b. 47, b. 191, c. 301-304, c. 653-657, d. 333-337, d. 973-986, e. 335-343, e. 941, g. 16-17; Eng. th. d. 37-38
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 7599, 7640
Biographical / Historical
'Michael Field' was the joint pseudonym of Katharine Harris Bradley (1846-1914) and her niece Edith Emma Cooper (1862-1913). Details under the name of 'Michael Field' are given in Who Was Who.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 46116-316.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The bulk of the working papers was given to the Bodleian in 1942, the rest being bought from D.C. and Riette Sturge Moore in 1974. Papers of Thomas Sturge Moore and Ursula Bridge relating to 'Michael Field' were given to the Library in 1974.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Bradley | Katherine Harris | 1846-1914 | Poet and Dramatist called Arran Leigh also shared pseudonym with Edith Emma Cooper, Michael Field
- Cooper | Edith Emma | 1862-1913 | poet and dramatist called Isa Leigh and shared pseudonym with Katherine Bradley as Michael Field
- Drama -- 19th century
- Drama -- 20th century
- Field | Michael | fl 1871-1911 | see Bradley Katherine Harris
- Poetry -- 19th century
- Poetry -- 20th century
- Papers of 'Michael Field'
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description