Guard-book containing Romanes lectures
Guard-book containing Romanes lectures:
- (fols. 1-27) Lady Violet Bonham Carter, 'The impact of personality in politics', 1963;
- (fols. 28-58) Noël Annan, Baron Annan, 'The disintegration of culture', 1965;
- (fols. 59-94) Sir Maurice Bowra, 'A case for humane learning', 1966;
- (fols. 95-124) Sir Peter Medawar, 'Science and literature', 1968;
- (fols. 125-178) Sir Isaiah Berlin, 'Fathers and children', 1970;
- (fols. 179-215) Raymond Aron, 'Usage et abus de la futorologie' (delivered in English), 1971;
- (fols. 216-249) Sir Karl Popper, 'On the problem of body and mind', 1972;
- (fols. 250-274) Sir Ernst Gombrich, 'Art history and the social sciences', 1973;
- (fols. 275-316) Solly Zuckerman, Baron Zuckerman, 'Advice and responsibility', 1974-1975.
- Creation: 1963-1975
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Top. Oxon. c. 545, fols. 1-2]
MS. Top. Oxon. c. 545
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 10122
Guard-book containing Romanes lectures, 1963-1975.
Biographical / Historical
Lady Helen Violet Bonham Carter, Baroness Asquith of Yarnbury (1887-1969) was a British politician and diarist.
Noel Gilroy Annan, Baron Annan (1916–2000) was a British military intelligence officer, author, and academic.
Sir (Cecil) Maurice Bowra (1898–1971) was a classical scholar and university administrator.
Sir Peter Brian Medawar (1915–1987) was a biologist.
Sir Isaiah Berlin (1909–1997) was a philosopher and historian of ideas.
Raymond Aron (1905-1983) was a philosopher and sociologist.
Sir Karl Raimund Popper (1902–1994) was a philosopher.
Sir Ernst Hans Josef Gombrich (1909–2001) was an art historian.
Solly Zuckerman, Baron Zuckerman (1904–1993) was a scientist and public servant.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, no. 54674.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received in accordance with university statute, 1964-1975.
- Carter | Lady | Helen Violet | Bonham | 1887-1969 | née Asquith | Baroness Asquith of Yarnbury | Liberal political figure (Person)
- Annan | Noel Gilroy | 1916-2000 | Baron Annan | historian and academic administrator (Person)
- Bowra | Sir | Maurice | 1898-1971 | Knight | scholar (Person)
- Medawar | Sir | Peter Brian | 1915-1987 | Knight | medical scientist (Person)
- Berlin | Sir | Isaiah | 1909-1997 | Knight | historian and philosopher (Person)
- Aron | Raymond | 1905-1983 | philosopher and sociologist (Person)
- Popper | Sir | Karl Raimund | 1902-1994 | philosopher (Person)
- Gombrich | Sir | Ernst Hans Josef | 1909-2001 | art historian (Person)
- Zuckerman | Solly | 1904-1993 | Baron Zuckerman | scientist and public servant (Person)
- Guard-book containing Romanes lectures
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description