Guard-book of material relating to Oxford and Oxfordshire
Guard-book of material relating to Oxford and Oxfordshire, 16th-20th century, including:
- (fols. 1-67) papers of F. R. L. Goadby relating to the history of Standlake church, 1965-1966;
- (fols. 68-72) extract from Banbury Guardian relating to Mollington Church restoration, typescript;
- (fols. 73-82) typescript and manuscript extracts from Mollington enclosure award, 1796;
- (fols. 83-86) letter from John Matter to Sir Hans Sloane, c.1725;
- (fols. 87-88) contemporary notes on the Oxfordshire parliamentary election of 1754;
- (fols. 89-90) account of Carfax conduit, 18th century;
- (fols. 91-104) minutes of the Oxford Coventry Canal Navigation Co., 1770;
- (fol. 105) Shenington Church Notes by John Loveday, 1778;
- (fols. 106-109) Holton Runners' Play & Cricketing Song, recorded by A. Tindale Briscoe, c. 1895;
- (fols. 118-129) contemporary copy of orders of 1610 and 1618 for Dame Elizabeth Periam's school at Henley on Thames;
- (fols. 150-185) papers of the Oxford Clerical Society, 1951-1961;
- (fols. 242-243) letter from Sir Henry Lee, steward of the royal manor of Woodstock, to William Cecil, Lord Burghley, 1576.
- Creation: 16th-20th century
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Top. Oxon. c. 551, fols. 1-2]
MS. Top. Oxon. c. 551
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 10932
Guard-book of material relating to Oxford and Oxfordshire, 16th-20th century.
Biographical / Historical
Brigadier Frank Reginald Lindsay Goadby (1899-1985) was a soldier and historian.
John Loveday (1711–1789) was an antiquary and traveller.
Dame Elizabeth Bacon (also Dame Elizabeth Periam) (c.1541-1621) was an English aristocrat.
Sir Henry Lee (1533–1611) was steward of the royal manor of Woodstock and a queen's champion.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, no. 54678.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Goadby | Frank Reginald Lindsay | 1899-1985 | Brigadier Historian of Standlake (Person)
- Matter | John | fl. c.1725 (Person)
- Sloane | Sir | Hans | 1660-1753 | baronet | physician and collector (Person)
- Loveday | John | 1711-1789 | philologist and antiquary (Person)
- Briscoe | A. | Tindale | fl. c.1895 (Person)
- Bacon | Dame | Elizabeth | c.1541-1621 | also Elizabeth Doyley and Elizabeth Periam | aristocrat (Person)
- Oxford Clerical Society (Organisation)
- Lee | Sir | Henry | 1533-1611 | queen's champion (Person)
- Cecil | William | 1520-1598 | 1st Baron Burghley | Statesman (Person)
- Oxford Canal Navigation Co (Organisation)
- Guard-book of material relating to Oxford and Oxfordshire
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description