Guard-book of miscellaneous papers and drawings
Guard-book of miscellaneous papers and drawings, 16th-20th century, including:
- (fol. 108) receipt (1674), information (1742), notice of conviction (1835);
- (fols. 110-111) account of J.T. Round as Proctor;
- (fols. 112-115) receipts for wood, tithes, 1688, hearth tax, 1689, from Ditchley;
- (fol. 116) paper endorsed 'Mr. Baker's Answer and Defense. Pembroke College' concerning the action brought in the Vice-Chancellor's Court by Samuel Baker against Robert Coucher for recovery of debt to Pembroke College [c.1690];
- (fols. 119-120) surgical certificate of examination of the body of Edward Roberts executed in Oxford prison, 18 Mar. 1872, signed by John Briscoe, surgeon of the prison;
- (fols. 121-124) preliminary notes on the Nowers tomb in Christ Church Cathedral by M. Maclagan;
- (fols. 125-126) letter from William Laud, Bishop of London, to Dr. Pinke, Warden of New College, 6 Sept. 1633;
- (fol. 127) certificate of health and residency at Christ Church of Willoughby Hickman, son of Sir Willoughby Hickman of Gainsborough, bt., signed by Henry Aldrich, Dean of Christ Church, Richard Newton, and Hugh Hutchin, 27 Aug. 1706;
- (fol. 128) signed warrant of Charles I to Francis Mildmay and Hugh Gore, dated 11 Feb. 1644-1645, for improving the navigation of the rivers Cherwell, Otmoor, and Ray between Bicester and Blackthorn;
- (fol. 129) petition of resident bachelors and undergraduates of the University of Oxford to the House of Commons against the Reform Bill ;
- (fols. 130-132a) order of the Council of State to the Governor of Oxford [Colonel William Draper], 1 July 1651;
- (fols. 132b-142) Particulars of lands & c., 17th century;
- (fols. 143-153) papers of Richard Lybbe of Hardwick;
- (fol. 154) letter concerning the manor of Eynshem from Thomas Fulkes to Henry Marten, 1651-1652;
- (fol. 155) notes on the monument in St. Mary the Virgin, 1961;
- (fols. 158-159) signed order of Charles II to George Morley, Bishop of Winchester, as Visitor of Magdalen College, Oxford, 1669;
- (fol. 160) photograph of Holwell Church, c.1893;
- (fols. 161-162) proposed regulations relating to the Sherardian professorship of botany at Oxford [1734?].
- (fol. 163) drawing of Beaumont Palace, c. 1774;
- (fol. 164) letter to John Lucius Dampier re. Royal Commission on Oxford University, 1850-1852;
- (fols. 172-173) drawing of Stanton St. John Rectory by William Wise, 1805.
- Creation: 16th-20th century
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Top. Oxon. c. 326, fols. 1-2]
MS. Top. Oxon. c. 326
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 7755
Guard-book of miscellaneous papers and drawings, 16th-20th century.
Biographical / Historical
William Laud (1573–1645) was archbishop of Canterbury.
Henry Aldrich (1648–1710) was the dean of Christ Church, Oxford.
Richard Newton (1676–1753) was an English educationist and college head.
Charles I (1600-1649) was King of England, Scotland and Ireland from 1625 until he was executed on 30 January 1649.
Henry [Harry] Marten [Martin] (1601/2–1680) was an English politician and regicide.
Charles II (1630-1685) was King of England, Scotland and Ireland from 1649 to 1651 and from 1660 to 1685.
George Morley (1598?–1684) was bishop of Winchester.
John Lucius Dampier, MA (1792–1853) was Vice-Warden of the Stannaries Court.
William Furlong Wise (1784–1844) was an English naval officer.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, no. 54634.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Items a-qq, fols. 1-153, described in Spokes, pp. 44-47.
- Laud | William | 1573-1645 | Archbishop of Canterbury (Person)
- Aldrich | Henry | 1648-1710 | composer (Person)
- Newton | Richard | 1676-1753 | educationist and college head (Person)
- Charles I | 1600-1649 | King of England, Scotland and Ireland (Person)
- Marten | Henry | 1601/2-1680 | also Harry Martin | politician and regicide (Person)
- Charles II | 1630-1685 | King of England, Scotland and Ireland (Person)
- Morley | George | ? 1598-1684 | bishop of Winchester (Person)
- Dampier | John Lucius | 1792-1853 | Vice-Warden of the Stannaries Court (Person)
- Wise | William Furlong | 1784-1844 | naval officer (Person)
- Baker | Samuel | fl. c.1690 (Person)
- Coucher | Robert | fl. c.1690 (Person)
- Roberts | Edward | d. 1872 (Person)
- Briscoe | John | fl. 1872 | surgeon of Oxford prison (Person)
- Maclagan | M. (Person)
- Pinke | Robert | 1573-1647 | Warden of New College (Person)
- Hickman | Willoughby | 1688-1712 | of Gainsborough, Lincs. (Person)
- Hutchin | Hugh | fl. 1706 (Person)
- Mildmay | Francis | fl. 1644-1660 | royalist (Person)
- Gore | Hugh | fl. 1644-1645 (Person)
- Draper | Colonel | William | b. 1620 | politician (Person)
- Lybbe | Richard | fl. 1526 | of Hardwick (Person)
- Fulkes | Thomas | fl. 1651-1673 | of Merton College, Oxford (Person)
- Guard-book of miscellaneous papers and drawings
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description