Founders and benefactors book of Tewkesbury abbey
Founders and benefactors book of Tewkesbury abbey, in Latin, on vellum, containing:
- (fols. 8-40) chronicle of the abbey's founders and benefactors, with coloured portraits;
- (fols. 2-5, 42v-45v) extracts from a narrative cartulary of the abbey, partly in imitation 13th-cent. script.
Described by C. H. B. Hudson in Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 33 (1910), 60-6. Pächt & Alexander iii, no. 1177.
- Creation: early 16th century
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Top. Glouc. d. 2, fols. 1-2]
MS. Top. Glouc. d. 2
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 17975
Founders and benefactors book of Tewkesbury abbey, in Latin, on vellum, early 16th century.
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, no. 54301.
Made for Joannes E[wis]ham (erased inscription on fol. iv); owned by Sir Edward Grevell of Milcote (d. 1559); given by Robert Spencer, Lord Spencer (1570-1627) to Mary Fane, Baroness Ie Despencer; booklabel of John Fane, 17th Earl of Westmorland, 1857.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bequeathed by C. H. B. Hudson, 1938.
19th-century brown morocco
- Founders and benefactors book of Tewkesbury abbey
- EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description