Domestic account book of George Austen of Shalford, Surrey
Domestic account book of George Austen of Shalford, Surrey, 1614-1621, including payments for his sons at Cambridge and Oxford universities.
The volume was used by other members of the family, including:
- (fols. 149v-144v rev.) John, 1621-1626;
- (fols. 139-102v rev.) George, 1718-1727.
- Creation: 17th-18th century
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Top. Surrey e. 4, fols. 1-2]
MS. Top. Surrey e. 4
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 8363
Domestic account book of George Austen of Shalford, Surrey, also used by other members of the family, 17th-18th century.
Biographical / Historical
George Austen (fl. 1614-1621) of Shalford, Surrey.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, no. 55222.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought, Sotheby's, 4 July 1955 (André de Coppet sale), lot 768.
Limp vellum wrappers, with ties
- Austen | George | fl. 1614-1621 | of Shalford, Surrey (Person)
- Austen | John | fl. 1621-1626 (Person)
- Austen | George | fl. 1718-1727 (Person)
- Domestic account book of George Austen of Shalford, Surrey
- EAD version 2020 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description