Papers of the Publishing House of Bentley
Papers of three generations of the publishing house of Bentley, consisting of:
- Cash-book of Richard Bentley the elder, 1829-1848
- Collections of extracts in several hands, including printed pieces and engravings, c. 1832-1858
- 'Diary vol. III' of Richard Bentley the younger, 1873-1874
- Journal by Anne Bentley of a visit to Spain, 1884-1885
- 'Note Book vol. vi', containing extracts by George Bentley from his reading, up to c. 1874
- Inventory of the property of George Bentley, June 1895
- Inventory of the property of Anne Bentley, November 1898
- Letters of condolence to Lucy Bentley, on the death of her husband, Richard Bentley the younger, 1936
- Stock certificates of members of the Bentley family, 1855-1877
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. d. 810].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. d. 810-811, d. 1209, e. 732-736; Eng. lett. c. 330
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12789
Biographical / Historical
Richard Bentley & Son was a publisher and bookseller based in London. The members of the Bentley family represented in the collection are Richard the elder (1794-1871), his son George (1828-1895), daughter-in-law Anne, and grandson Richard the younger (1854-1936).
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 45597-605.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were bought from Phillips, Son & Neale in 1974.
- Papers of the Publishing House of Bentley
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description