Papers of the Dandridge Family of Rousham, Oxfordshire
Papers of the Dandridge family, consisting of:
- Journal of Edward Dandridge on a voyage from England to India, June 1781-May 1782, copied by Edward Dandridge for his father, 1783
- Sermons by J.S. Dandridge, rector of Rousham, 1804-41
- Notes on John Hey, Lectures in divinity (4 vols., Cambridge, 1796), c. 1800. Owned by George Dandridge, rector of Rousham, 1841-1858
- Exercise books of Charles Dandridge, son of J.S. Dandridge, on mathematics, 1817
- Exercise books containing a 'Chapter on prayer', probably in the hand of Catherine Dandridge, late 19th century
- 18th-19th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. d. 737].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. d. 737-738, e. 671-672; Eng. th. d. 60-61, e. 167
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 12892
Biographical / Historical
The Dandridge family of Rousham, Oxfordshire, included Edward Dandridge, John Strange Dandridge (d. 1841), rector of Rousham, George Dandridge (d. 1858), rector of Rousham, Charles Dandridge, son of John Strange Dandridge, and Catherine Dandridge.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 45536-42.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library in 1973.
- 18th century
- 19th century
- Dandridge | Catherine | fl 1869-1899
- Dandridge | Charles | fl 1817
- Dandridge | Edward | fl 1781-1783
- Dandridge | George | d 1858 | Rector of Rousham
- Dandridge | John Strange | d 1841 | Rector of Rousham
- Dandridge | family | Rousham, Oxfordshire
- Hey | John | 1734-1815 | Divine
- India -- Description and travel
- Papers of the Dandridge Family of Rousham, Oxfordshire
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description