Volume written in Greek in Italy by Johannes Mauromates and [Em]Manuel Probatares
MS. Gr. th. c. 2
Volume written in Greek in the third quarter of the 16th cent., in Italy by (fols. 1-117) Johannes Mauromates and (fols. 168-254) [Em]Manuel Probatares (Gamillscheg & Harlfinger, lA, p. 99, no. 171, and p. 139, no. 254), comprising:
- (fols. 1-154) Nicephorus Blemmydes, Commentary on the Psalter, the preface beg. ψαλτήριον κυρίος, όργανου είδος έοτι μουσικού; the preface (fols. 1-6) and Psalms 24-150 (fols. 25-154) are as printed in J.-P. Migne, Patrologia graeca, 142 (1863), cols. 1321A-1326C, 1433B-1622A, the rest not printed there;
- (fols. 154-66) Nicephorus Blemmydes, Commentary on the Canticles beg. Ίππον καί άναβάτην;
- (fols. 168-254) St. John Chrysostom, Commentary on Psalms 4-11 breaking off at the end of a quire at καί ποία αύτη, printed Migne op. cit. 55 (1862), cols. 39-147.
- Third quarter of the 16th century
Language of Materials
- Greek, Modern (1453-)
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. , MS. Gr. th. c. 2, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Gr. th. c. 2
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 17052
Volume written in Greek in the third quarter of the 16th century, in Italy by Johannes Mauromates and [Em]Manuel Probatares
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. II, no. 47393.
Inscribed 'No.3' (fols. ii, iiiv , 254v); Quaritch, catalogue of 1858, item 1523; bought by Phillipps, 1859, Phillipps MS. 16649; Sotheby's, 1 Dec. 1947, lot 11O.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought, Maggs, cat. 779 (1948), 83·
17th-18th century vellum binding, inscribed at foot of spine 'N. III.' (18th century)
- Volume written in Greek in Italy by Johannes Mauromates and [Em]Manuel Probatares
- EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description