Collection of verse and prose copied by two or possibly three hands
Collection of verse and prose copied by two or possibly three hands, including:
- (fols. 1-73) 'The life of Edward the second' by Sir Francis Hubert;
- (fols. 83-102) fortyeight 'characters' by John Earle, the order mainly agreeing with the autograph copy, 45986, annotated 'The end of so many of Mr. Erles caracters as were bestowed upon me by Mr. G. S. April 1627';
- (fols. iiv, 74, 78v-79, 81v, 103v-108) copies of various pieces in a second hand, some initialled 'I. N.', including (fol. 78v) poem on the death of Sir Walter Ralegh.
142 leaves, 112-142 blank.
- Creation: Early 17th century
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. poet. e. 112, fols. 1-2].
MS. Eng. poet. e. 112
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16281
Collection of verse and prose copied by two or possibly three hands.
Biographical / Historical
Biographical details unknown.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991). Vol. 2, no. 46490.
Numbered at various times Wh. g; 296; 425; 529; 6766; S 27; bookplate of S. B. Duryea; bequeathed by him to the Long Island Historical Society.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought, Sotheby's, 21 Dec. 1965, lot 595
Calf, gilt, rebacked and repaired
- Collection of verse and prose copied by two or possibly three hands
- EAD version 2019 by Pauline Soum-Paris
- Language of description
- Script of description