Skip to main content

Minute book of the George Butterworth Memorial Fund, with a copy of the Trust's Deed and other inserts

 Single Item
MS. 17584

  • How to
    request
The volume contains the George Butterworth Memorial Fund Trust Deed and minutes of meetings of Trustees, starting with the meeting of 21 March 1929. Although minutes of previous meetings were not preserved, they are summarised, with grants given up to this date recorded on pp. 20-22. The last meeting reported on here took place on 21 June 1940. There is a note at the end stating that 'Minutes continued in new book'.

The minute book also lists the trustees (with changes) and recipients of the Trust's grants. The grants are summarised and include: extracts from the applications, names of persons making the recommendation and details of the decisions. Among recipients of the grants are: Ivor Gurney (1st in 1922), Bernard Shore ((1925), Constant Lambert (1929), John Gough (1929), Arwel Hughes (1930), Michael Tippett (1931), William Glock (1931), Gordon Jacob (1931), Patrick Hadley (1931), Reginald Moore (1933), Miriam Hyde (1933), Herts Rural Music School (1933), Clifford Harker (1935), Stanley Bate (1936), Peter Pope (1936), Ruth Gipps (1937), Maurice Miles (1939) and Committee of the Promotion of New Music (1944).

Inserted in the book are: 'List of published compositions of George Butterwoth' (up to 1913); press reviews of Butterworth's Six songs from 'A Shropshire lad' and an extract from a Butterworth obituary published in The Times on 12 Aug 1916.

Dates

  • 1921-1947

Extent

1 box (1 volume)

Language of Materials

English

Preferred Citation

Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. 17584].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.

Shelfmark:

MS. 17584

Collection ID (for staff)

CMD ID 17584

Overview

Minute book of the George Butterworth Memorial Fund, with the Trust's Deed and details of grants, 1921-1947.

Biographical / Historical

The George Butterworth Memorial Fund was established on 3 May 1921 by Sir Alexander Kaye Butterworth, Sir Hugh P. Allen, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Dorothea Mavor (Sir Butterworth's step-daughter) and William Simpson Hannam (solicitor). The Trust's purpose was to 'leave a permanenet memorial of ... George [Butterworth] who fell in the Great War' with the aim of 'furtherance of the cause of music and particular (if found practicable) the encouragement of musical composition'. In the first couple of decades other trustees included Adrian Boult, George Dyson and R. O. Morris. It was registered with the Charity Commission in 1963. The The Butterworth Trust (as it came to be known) was later absorbed by the Vaughan Williams Charitable Trust. In 2017 the George Butterworth Prize was awarded to Egidija Medekšaitė.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The Bodleian acquired this volume probably in the 1960s.

Related Materials

Photocopies of letters related to the Butterworth Trust at MS. Eng. c. 8410, fols. 1-10.
Title
Minute book of the George Butterworth Memorial Fund, 1921-1947
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Margaret Czepiel
Date
2020
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Bodleian Libraries Repository

Contact:
Weston Library
Broad Street
Oxford OX1 3BG United Kingdom