Papers of Sir Edmund Kerchever Chambers
Papers of Sir Edmund Kerchever Chambers, including:
- Letters to Chambers, 1882-1949
- Letters from W.W. Greg, 1910, 1920-1946
- Letters to and from Kenneth Sisam of the Clarendon Press, 1929-1947
- Lectures, essays, and drafts of unpublished novels and short stories by Chambers, 1888-1901, n.d.
- Personal papers, 1884-1949
- Press cuttings of reviews by Chambers, 1892-1936
- Two exercise books containing lists by Chambers, 1948, of his published books, articles and verse
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. c. 717].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. c. 717-719, d. 1097, e. 1129-1131, f. 637-638; Autogr. e. 10-11; Eng. lett. c. 483-486, d. 471-473
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 8379
Biographical / Historical
Sir Edmund Kerchever Chambers (1866-1954) was an English scholar. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 44724-41.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library by Chambers's executors in 1955 and his niece in 1960.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Chambers | Edmund Kerchever | 1866-1954 | Sir | Knight and English Scholar
- English literature -- 19th century
- English literature -- 20th century
- Greg | Sir | Walter Wilson | 1875-1959 | Knight | Bibliographer, Shakespearean Scholar, and Historian
- Sisam | Kenneth | 1887-1971 | author
- Papers of Sir Edmund Kerchever Chambers
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description