Papers of Clara Sophie Deneke
Papers of Clara Sophie Deneke and her daughter Margaret, including:
- Literary papers of Clara Sophie Deneke, ca. 1900-1920
- Correspondence of Clara Sophie and Margaret Deneke, and various other members of the Deneke family, 1902-1966
- Correspondence and papers relating to the Oxford Ladies Musical Society, 1952-1961
- Diaries of Margaret and Helena Deneke, 1914-1933
- Typescript copy of memoirs of Margaret Deneke, ca. 1956, with photographs, and printed copies of her works, Ernest Walker (Oxford, 1951) and Paul Victor Mendelssohn Benecke (1954)
- Photographs of members of the Deneke family, their friends, and places associated with them, 1882-1969
Language of Materials
English and German
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. c. 701].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. c. 701, d. 1064-1066, e. 989-992, f. 571-572; Eng. lett. c. 470, c. 618-621; German c. 25-27, e. 11-15; Mus. c. 418
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13590
Biographical / Historical
Clara Sophie Deneke (1847-1933) was an author. Her daughter was Margaret Clara Adèle Deneke (1882-1969), author and musicologist (details are given in Who Was Who).
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 44385-408.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library by the executors of Margaret Deneke in 1969.
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Authors -- 19th century
- Authors -- 20th century
- Deneke | Clara Sophie | 1847-1933 | Author
- Deneke | Helena Clara | 1878-1973
- Deneke | Margaret Clara Adele | 1882-1969 | Author and Musicologist
- Diaries -- 20th century
- English literature -- 20th century
- Oxford Ladies Musical Society
- Papers of Clara Sophie Deneke
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description