Papers relating to Samuel Johnson
MS. Don. c. 62
Papers relating to Samuel Johnson, including:
- Fols. 17-21. his comments on Lord Hailes's Annals of Scotland (1776), in Boswell's hand
- Fols. 36-43. pages 113-28 of his corrected page proofs of Life of Cowley (1779)
- Fol. 44. Boswell's note on two lines from 'The vanity of human wishes', with Johnson's own correction, 1778
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
To ensure its availability to future readers, access to part of this material is restricted. Readers are asked to work from reproductions and published descriptions as far as possible. To apply to see the original, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org, outlining the subject of your research, the importance of this material to that research, and the resources you have already consulted. Please also tell us about the timeframe for your project, if any, and when you hope to visit.
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Don. c. 62, fols. 1-2]
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Don. c. 62
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16814
Papers relating to Samuel Johnson, 1778-1830
Biographical / Historical
Samuel Johnson (1709-1784) was an English author and lexicographer.
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given by the Friends of the Bodleian, 1940, except fol. 44, given by Col. Ralph Isham through the Friends of the Bodleian, 1947.
- Papers relating to Samuel Johnson
- EAD version 2019 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description