Papers of Solomon Dayrolles concerning Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield
MS. Don. c. 36
Papers of Solomon Dayrolles concerning Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, including:
- Fols. 2-106. letter-book containing letters to Lord Chesterfield from Dayrolles, partly in the hand of a clerk, from The Hague, 1747-51, and Brussels, 1751-2
- Fols. 107-10, 114-17. letters from Matthew Maty to Dayrolles, 1774, with draft of Maty's introduction to his memoir of Chesterfield
- Fols. 122-73. drafts of letters to Chesterfield from Dayrolles, from Brussels, 1753-7
- Fols. 156-73. from The Hague, 1748, the latter written under the name Adrian Van der Poll
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Don. c. 36, fols. 1-2]
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Don. c. 36
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16784
Papers of Solomon Dayrolles concerning Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, 1747-1774
Biographical / Historical
Solomon Dayrolles (d. 1786) was a courtier and diplomat.
Other Finding Aids
Bookplate of D. B. E. de Moleyns, 4th Baron Ventry, great-grandson of Solomon Dayrolles.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bought, Sotheby's, 3 April 1933, lot 422, given by the Friends of the Bodleian.
19th-century half calf, marbled boards
- Papers of Solomon Dayrolles concerning Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield
- EAD version 2019 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description