Compositions for voice with accompaniment by Handel
MS. Don. c. 69
Compositions for voice with accompaniment by Handel:
- Fols. 1-3v. Cantata 'Deh Lasciate', holograph, printed from this manuscript in Handel-Gesellschaft 50 (Leipzig, 1887), 44-7
- Fols. 6-27. six songs, copied by Christopher Smith the elder and altered by Handel; five are from the part of Teofane in Ottone, printed op. cit. 56 (1881), here transposed down a fourth or fifth; the sixth, 'Doppo l'ombre d'un fiero sospetto', in F, is from the lengthened version of Floridante, 1733, printed op. cit. 55 (1876), 19, where this song is in B flat
- Fols. 29-30v. cantata 'O fuggito Amore', holograph, printed from this manuscript, op. cit. 51 (1887), 171-2. ['O fuggito amore' lacks the final aria 'E troppo bella', which is now in the British Library, Zweig Ms. 36. This too was owned by Dragonetti and Novello, moking it very likely that it (and proudly fols. 6-27) were also of the same provenance.
- c. 1733-1887
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Don. c. 69, fols. 1-2]
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Don. c. 69
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16541, 7256
Compositions for voice with accompaniment by Handel, c. 1733-1887
Biographical / Historical
George Frideric Handel, 1685-1759, was a German composer.
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Fols. 1-3 owned by Domenico Dragonetti and Vincent Novello; fols. 1-28 were bought by the Friends of the Bodleian from T. W. Bourne, who gave fols. 29-30, 1948. See F.O.B. Annual Report, 1948, p.3.
- Compositions for voice with accompaniment by Handel
- EAD version 2019 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description