Guard-book of letters and papers, 16th - 19th century
Guard-book of letters and papers, including:
- Fols. 37-8. order from Robert Spencer, 2nd Earl of Sunderland, as Secretary of State, to Roger L'Estrange, to enquire into the accuracy of printed reports of trials connected with the Popish Plot, 1684
- Fols. 41-2. certificate of Edward Montagu, 2nd Earl of Manchester, concerning the King's music, 1669
- Fols. 52-5. account of the expenses of Sir Edward Horsey for two journeys to the Netherlands, 1576, 1577
- Fols. 65-6. statement concerning the compilation and printing of Lord Clarendon's Life, 1759.
- Creation: 16th-19th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. hist. c. 237, fols. 1-2].
MS. Eng. hist. c. 237
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16353
Guard-book of letters and papers, 16th - 19th century.
Biographical / Historical
Robert Spencer, 1641-1702, 2nd Earl of Sunderland, was an English nobleman and politician of the Spencer family. Edward Montagu, 1602-1671, 2nd Earl of Manchester, was an important commander of Parliamentary forces in the First English Civil War, and for a time Oliver Cromwell's superior. Sir Edward Horsey, d. 1583, was an English military commander.
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Guard-book of letters and papers, 16th - 19th century
- EAD version 2019 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description