Papers of the Ostler Family
Papers of the Ostler family, consisting of:
- Letters to Edward Ostler, mainly from members of his family, c. 1841 - c. 1912
- Journal of Edward Ostler, 1875-1897
- Papers of Edward Ostler, 1868-1911, mainly relating to financial affairs, and of Mary Ostler, including extracts from her diary, 1857-1862
- Correspondence between Mary Ostler and her fiancé, H.J. Stokes, 1870-1872, with miscellaneous letters to Mary Ostler, 1860-1904
- Letters to various members of the Ostler and Stokes families, 1808-1923
- Papers of Sarah Ostler, 1842-1866, with printed memorial, trade and greetings cards, 1865-1924
- Commonplace book of E. Statira Ostler, sister of Edward, 1892-1903
- Notebook containing copies of verse, late 19th century
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. c. 514].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. c. 514-515, e. 661-662, f. 413; Eng. lett. d. 311-313
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 13277
Biographical / Historical
The Ostler family consists of Edward Ostler, shopkeeper of Newport, Monmouthshire, and Penarth, Glamorgan, his half sister Mary, who married H.J. Stokes, mayor of Aberavon in 1893, and his step-mother Sarah Ostler, formerly Mrs John Welch of Bath. They were all Evangelicals and involved in voluntary church work.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 44122-9.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were bought from J.R. Wrigley in 1971.
- Papers of the Ostler Family
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description