Guard-book of letters and documents
MS. Eng. hist. b. 172
Guard-book of letters and documents, including:
- Fols. 1-2. letters patent of Elizabeth I, 27 May 1597, giving an exemplification of depositions concerning the death of Sir Francis Englefield
- Fols. 40-56. accounts of William Sincklar, sheep-reeve to Sir Roger Townshend of Raynham, Norf., 1624
- Fol. 57. signed, illuminated letter of James I to Sultan Ahmed I, 17 Jan. 1617
- Fol. 60. 96 signatures of subscribers to the oath of supremacy, including several London or ships' surgeons, 1689-90, 1693
- Fols. 77-80. 2 orders of the Council of State, 1652
- Fols. 81-110. lists of payments made after the death of Mary II to her servants and charities, c.1699
- Fols. 111-116. Lists of sheriffs, 1676-8, and lists of those nominated and picked, 1677-8
- Fols. 135-45. part of the holograph manuscript of Sir Richard Bulstrode's 'Memoirs and Recollections', c.1700, corresponding to pp. 25-107 of the text as published, London, 1721, differing from it in style rather than in content.
- Papers relating to the notification of the last illness and death of King Edward VII to H.H. Asquith as Prime Minister (on a cruise in the Admiral Yacht 'The Enchantress' at the time), 1910.
- 16th-20th century
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. hist. b. 172, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Eng. hist. b. 172
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 16287
Guard-book of letters and documents, 16th-20th century.
Biographical / Historical
Elizabeth I, 1533-1603, was queen of England and Ireland from 17 November 1558 until her death on 24 March 1603. Mary II, 1662-1694, was Queen of England, Scotland, and Ireland, co-reigning with her husband, King William III and II, from 1689 until her death in 1694.
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- 16th century
- 17th century
- 18th century
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Asquith | Herbert Henry | 1852-1928 | 1st Earl of Oxford and Asquith | statesman
- Edward VII | 1841-1910 | King of Great Britain and Ireland
- Elizabeth I | 1533-1603 | Queen of England and Ireland
- James VI and I | 1566-1625 | King of Scotland, England and Ireland
- Mary II | 1662-1694 | Queen of England, Scotland, and Ireland, co-reigning with her husband, King William III and II, from 1689 until her death in 1694
- Politics and Government
- Royal family
- Guard-book of letters and documents
- EAD version 2019 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description