Guard-book of literary manuscripts
MS. Don. c. 2
Guard-book of literary manuscripts, including:
- Fol. 1. sonnet by Hilaire Belloc, beg. 'When you to Acheron's ugly water come'
- Fols. 39-119. essay by Spenser Wilkinson on the Boer War, 1900
- Fol. 141. fair copy of Siegfried Sassoon's 'Concert Party', 1918
- Fol. 142. elegy on the death of George V by Edmund Blunden, 1936
- Fols. 143-4. review by Arnold Bennett, 'Books and persons: literature of revolt', for The Evening Standard, 19 Sept. 1929.
- late 19th-early 20th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Don. c. 2, fols. 1-2]
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Don. c. 2
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 11382-4
Guard-book of literary manuscripts, late 19th-early 20th century
Biographical / Historical
(Joseph) Hilaire Pierre René Belloc, 1870–1953, was a French poet and author. Spenser Wilkinson, 1853-1937, was a military historian. Siegfried Loraine Sassoon, 1886-1967, was an English poet and writer. Edmund Blunden, 1896-1974, was an English poet and university lecturer. Arnold Bennett, 1867-1931, was an English writer.
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Given, mainly by the authors, through Friends of the Bodleian, 1927-39.
Bound by Maltby of Oxford in half blue morocco
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Belloc | Joseph Hilaire Pierre | 1870-1953 | writer and historian
- Bennett | Arnold | 1867-1931 | Writer
- Blunden | Edmund Charles | 1896-1974 | poet
- Sassoon | Siegfried | 1886-1967 | poet
- Wilkinson | Spenser | 1853-1937 | Military historian
- Guard-book of literary manuscripts
- EAD version 2019 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description