Guard-book of papers and letters
MS. Eng. hist. c. 396
Guard-book of papers and letters, including:
- (fols 1-2) Accounts of payments to troops in the Low Countries, Oct. - Nov. 1602
- (fols. 3-4) Copy of Statement by Sir Thomas Jenner concerning visitation of Magdalen College, 1689
- (fol. 5) Warrant signed by John Thurloe, 1652/3
- (fol. 8) Receipt signed by Jas Wotton, 1588
- (fols. 9-11) Notes by Sir Robert Ker Porter, c. 1820-1824
- (fols. 12-66) papers, possibly of William Adam, concerning the scrutiny of the Westminster election returns, 1784-5 (taken from a volume of printed items on the same subject, [pr. bk.] Vet. A5 d. 699)
- (fols. 67-87, 172-89) papers of Lord John Russell, 1810-66
- (fols. 88-139) papers of Sir Arthur S. T. Griffith-Boscawen, 1922
- (fols. 152-63) letters to Charles II, 1672-82
- (fol. 208) commission by Charles I to Roger Whitley as captain of a troop of horse, 1 Nov. 1642
- 16th-20th cent.
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Eng. hist. c. 396, fols. 1-2].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
MS. Eng. hist. c. 396
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 9397
Guard-book of papers and letters, 16th-19th century.
Biographical / Historical
Sir Thomas Jenner, 1638-1707, was an English judge. Sir Robert Ker Porter, 1777-1842, was an English painter, writer and diplomat. Lord John Russell, 1792-1878, 1st Earl Russell, was the prime minister between 1865-1866 and an author. Sir Arthur Sackville Trevor Griffith-Boscawen, 1865-1946, was an English politician.
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- 16th century
- 17th century
- 18th century
- 19th century
- 20th century
- Charles II | 1630-1685 | King of England, Scotland and Ireland
- Griffith-Boscawen | Sir | Arthur Sackville Trevor | 1865-1946 | Politician
- Jenner | Sir | Thomas | 1638-1707 | Judge
- Politics and Government
- Porter | Sir | Robert Ker | 1777-1842 | Knight | Painter, writer and diplomat
- Russell | John | 1792-1878 | 1st Earl Russell | statesman
- Thurloe | John | 1616-1668 | Secretary to the Council of State
- Guard-book of papers and letters
- EAD version 2019 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description