Illuminated 'album amicorum' of Georg Fridich Speidl
Illuminated album amicorum of Georg Fridrich Speidl of 'Wattersdorf in Neuhofen' [Bavaria], probably the person of that name who matriculated in the law faculty of the University of Strasbourg, 27 September 1626. The majority of the entries were made at Strasbourg, Feb.-June 1631 and at Bourges, Sept. 1631-May 1632; and the remainder at Orléans, July 1631; Paris, July 1631 and Feb. 1633; Sancerre, April 1632; Angers, Sept. 1632; and London, March-April 1633. The writers include:
- Fols. 10, 11. Henry II of Bourbon and his son, Louis II, Princes of Conde, 1632
- Fol. 24. Johan Alexsson Oxenstierna
- Fol. 44. Gustav Horn, Swedish statesmen, 1633
- Fol. 87. Sir James Thynne of Longleat, Wilts., 1632
The illuminations include:
- Fol. 1. a landscape beneath Speidl's coat of arms, signed E. B. (a first initial has probably been obliterated)
- Fols. 2-4. three groups of four female figures in contemporary costumes, and (passim) the arms of many of the writers
At fol. 100 is an entry similar to the earlier ones, by Sir John Verney, later Viscount Fermanagh, of Middle Claydon, Bucks., Nov. 1680. Pächt and Alexander i, no. 199.
- Creation: 1631-1680
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MS. Autogr. g. 3, fols. 1-2].
MS. Autogr. g. 3
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 9332
Illuminated 'album amicorum' of Georg Fridich Speidl, 1631-1680.
Biographical / Historical
Georg Fridrich Speidl of Bavaria is thought to be the person of that name who matriculated in the law faculty of the University of Strasbourg, 27 September 1626.
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Inscribed inside the upper cover in one hand 'Spencer Newcomb Meredith d.d. Edward Henry Landon 1829 d.d. Joseph Francis Phelps 1848'; labelled on the upper cover '136'; given by Miss J. Phelps, 1961.
- Illuminated 'album amicorum' of Georg Fridich Speidl
- EAD version 2019 by Alice Whichelow
- Language of description
- Script of description