Papers of Samuel Parr
Letters and family papers of Samuel Parr, consisting of:
- Letters to Parr from members of the Whig party, 1780-1821
- Miscellaneous letters to Parr, 1784-1823
- Papers of Parr's father, Samuel Parr, mainly letters
- Family papers, 1707-1823
- Letters and papers, 1761-1832
- Diary for 1771 of Francis Parr (d. 1771), Parr's cousin
- Volume containing notes by Parr's father on his patients, later used by Parr for arithmetic exercises
- Recipe book of Caroline Lynes, early 19th century
- Copy of Walter Savage Landor, Gebir (London, 1798) with Landor's annotations
Language of Materials
Oxford, Bodleian Libraries [followed by shelfmark and folio or page reference, e.g. MSS. Eng. misc. c. 396].
Please see our help page for further guidance on citing archives and manuscripts.
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Eng. misc. c. 396-398, d. 589-591, e. 548-550, f. 379
Collection ID (for staff)
CMD ID 9823
Biographical / Historical
Samuel Parr (1747-1825) was a pedagogue. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 43897-906.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were given to the Library in 1962.
- Papers of Samuel Parr
- Emily Tarrant
- Language of description